Are we really fighting for acceptance?

November 20, 2007

To get my mind off over the whole break up thing, I want to post an entry that I've long kept in my thoughts, so better release it now.

I remember the first time ever reading the word bimale. It was on a local chat room on television and my brother was with me. I asked him what it was and neither of us knew the answer. Later on, I interacted with the person who apparently had his number posted as well. I asked him what it meant and he said, "silahis, lalaki may gusto sa kapwa lalaki" (Basically, it's a guy wanting a guy as well).

That same day, my vocabulary was introduced to several more terms I never thought existed. Bisexual, Tripper, Transgender, Transvestite, Discreet, Blatant, and the likes. It was a rainbow spectrum of personalities and I was having a difficult time digesting everything all at the same time.

As the year passed, I finally got my questions answered, my words strongly defined, and my mind at ease knowing that in that gray area, my entirety belongs.

But with that came conflicts, misunderstandings, and unending arguments. Some find it a disorder, others a shame. Not everyone seemed to have the open mind like I do, like we do.

I remember this great movie, wherein mutants live amongst humans. In the last part of the trilogy, a "cure" was found for the mutants. But not all of them were happy about it. Because for them, being a mutant wasn't a disease that needed treatment.

That is the kind of life homosexuals live.

We are all a part of this place we call Earth, and individuality sets us apart from other animals. The uniqueness we are endowed with is a matter of choice. The choice to whether embrace it, or the choice to hide it from shallow society cliches.

The thought of being labeled, called with derogatory terms, discriminated, is wrecking. What's worse? We are even discriminated by those who are among us. So where do we stand now? Let's ask ourselves constantly with this question: "Are we really fighting for acceptance?". If so, let us start within ourselves. For no one would believe that we want to be accepted, if the fault is committed by those who are fighting for such justice.

I have long fought for who I am, who I want to be, and the rights I should be given. Only to realize in the end, that we shouldn't be fighting to justify who we are. We are what we are, and no one could put us in a category of mavericks.

Nothing is wrong with us! There's something wrong with YOU! For not being able to understand the world's inevitable growing qualities.

Today, I have decided where all this is going, and in the end, WE are to succeed. I proudly shout and say: "BAKLA AKO! MAY REKLAMO?"


*thank you to AJ Matela for giving me the courage to put myself out there with no doubts and hesitations. Your tag line made me realize that no one could ever be in a position to define who we are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're welcome. I'm glad it helped you become more proud of yourself! Bakla Tayo!

Let's own it!

Anonymous said...

Even though i'm not gay (definitely!)...I really like this entry!lol
I think this enrty is a "MUST" to be read by gay people...especially my gay friends. here in mega manila.....lol
keep it up ae-ar!mishu!tc!